All of us know that Harley Davidson is the most powerful motorcycle in the market. If you are using it, you have to know how to remove Harley air cleaner cover and be careful about it. Most of the motorcycles air cleaner gets dirty after a while. It gets your motorcycle slow. Motorcycles cannot get air in and get air out. So, if you are a bike rider and you don't want to get your Harley Davidson slow, then you have to clean your air cleaner. And you have to be very careful that after riding how many miles, your Harley Davidson gets slow??? You must have to notice it. Most of the motorcycles gets dusty after 5000 miles. So, check it after 3000 or 4000 miles. For get better performance, you have to clean your filter or change it. So, let's start with it.
What you need for removing the air cleaner cover:
- 5/16-inch Allen wrench
- Torx t27
- Torque specs
Process of removing Harley Davidson Air Cleaner Cover:
- Firstly, take a 5/16 Allen wrench and backing up bolts to remove the air cleaner element's outer cover.
- Secondly, after removing the outer cover we can have access to the air filter element.
- Thirdly, that air filter is tightened with bolt, right?? So, grab a T27 torx bit or appropriately sized torx bit and start backing up those bolts.
- Fourthly, after removing all bolts, remove the air filter element. But you should careful about those breather hoses which are attached with the air filter and engine.
- Fifthly, Grab the air filter and breather hoses together and genteelly pull them using your hands.
- Sixthly, after removing the air filter please detach those breather hoses from the air filter.
You can remove the breather tube from the air filter back and set the filter on the side.
Can I clean my Harley air filter?
If your air filter gets so much dirt then you should clean it. Or it will not work, you have to change it. Because the factory air filter is completely encapsulated all the way around the filter, fresh air doesn't get into your motor. So, it its not working you have to change it.
Surprisingly, with some effort you can clean your Harley filter.
Also learn about How To Clean Shark Filter
Process of cleaning:
- Dishwashing liquid is as good as any other liquid. We recommend you to use k & N air filter recharger cleaning kit.
- Spray that cleaner onto both sides of filter and allow to soak for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes rinse off your air filter with low pressure water. Continue doing this as long as it takes to get dirt and dead bugs out of filter.
- Gently shakes of the excess water and allow filter to dry naturally. Then you have to wait for that filter to dry.
- After that apply k & N air filter oil on the filter surface. Once again you have to wait allow the oil to wick for approximately 20 minutes.
- Then that filter is ready to bit on the road. Now assembled everything back.
How to change air filter on Harley Davidson/Sportster?
Remove the backing plate: Follow the removal process and have the back part of the air cleaner. There is a blacking plate and it need to come out. We are going to spin bolts. These bolts hold the blacking plate to the engine itself. You got to undo these bolts and your blacking plate can come out off.
Install breather assembly: Take the breather to assemble and gently guide this into the heads and install it because this will replace the factory setup. Use your hands to install this machine. That's certainly important for avoiding damages. Then snug down both sides with bolts, taking care to keep that tube nice and safe.
Install chrome cabs: This chrome cabs make your bike nicer. It looks so nice. This chrome cabs have a natural nice finish on them. After installing them, Snug them down. Don't tight these bolts so much or use torque specs, if you don't want to damage anything.
Install the adapting plate: Basically, we have to changes motor bolt pattern here into the different bolt pattern. Its not very difficult at all. We are going to line this thing up.
TIPS: One of the important parts is replacing the gasket. The gasket can seal it again that nice clean air keeps dirt from getting into your engines. So, make sure you are treating the gasket nicely.
Now take a bolt get it onto your fastener and line up your gasket and one of your bolt holes on your adapter plate. Sneak it down and loosely install one bolt. So that it can swing. This process makes your installation easier. We have to line the gasket up with the throttle body as well as the adapter body itself. As you swing these and use a mechanics picks to line these things. Now spin all the fastener with hand. In this stage you have to lock this thing down with the help of torque.
Install the blacking plate: This process is also same. Install this plate on the hose and lined up it with gasket. With the same process placing the gasket and blacking plate with the help of pick like before.
Placing filter: Now place the filter onto the blacking pate. It makes your bike more powerful and rocking. Now get the outer cover and cover it. Then place the bolts with hands and then snug them down evenly.
Benefits of changing air filter:
1. It will give you vehicle ultimate longevity.
2. It provides 50% more airflow and increase your filtration media.
3. It also saves money because after changing one time you can use it for the life of your motorcycle.
4. It helps to protect your engine from many contaminants
5. Its easy to install and washable product and reusable.
Are Harley Davidson air filters washable?
You can clean these Harley Davidson air filter in warm water using a mild cleanser. Never incursion the part on a solid surface to remove grime and wreckage.
If this information is enough for you, please look at the product's service manual. The service manual is up to the mark, and it will clear your queries. If you have any further questions about how to change air filter on Harley Sportster, please feel free to share your thought. Our experts will reply to you within 48 hours.
Have a nice day!